Monday, June 30, 2008

Beauty and the Beast


Yups... I was there... and sorry no pics were taken as I didn't bring my camera. As no flash photography is allowed, I thought I would have needed a tripod to hold it still for long exposure. Figured out if I paid RM150 for it better enjoy it than making a nuisance of myself... :P.

I thought it was quite a good production! Let me start with the negative side first... I was sitting on the top level which is pretty far from the stage. I didn't like that as I can't see the details of the characters and costume. To really enjoy a musical it not only covers music and vocals but character expression and environment details should be enjoyed too!. Oh well, the bottom row tickets and front row are all 250 and above. Don't think I would spent that much for 2 persons!

I also thought the music/vocals were out of depth. There was obvious differences in recorded sounds (effects, etc.) and orchestra/vocals with the effects being much louder. I thought it should be more balanced. But then again most probably it's due to sitting at the top where the music was not really focused.

Lumiere and Belle with Wardrobe and Cogsworth slightly hidden, the rest are part of the enchanted objects - Pic by The Star


Besides that there were some minor timing issues with the backdrop and sets but as you can see, mainly I've juz got gripes with seating on a cheap ticket :P

The Beast - Pic by The Star


Mainly if you have the time... go catch it. It's not to be missed. It's a good start to watching a musical (other than the teeny High School Musical... :P)... rather than starting straight with Phantom Of The Opera which some of us might not understand... It was entertaining... vocal and orchestra performance was quite good, if they could iron out some of the timing quirks and sound issues I thought it would have been spectacular.

3 comments:

joona said...

It indeed was a great performance! I enjoyed it so much more than Chicago. But can you believe this.... i still think more highly of our very own local production 'Puteri Gunung Ledang'!! That one was out of this world!

But Beauty and the Beast has it's sentimental value in my heart la... coz grew up loving that story and cartoon... =) The costume and props were magical... =)

Joygerm said...

haha was surprised to c u there... ooo i didn't catch Puteri Gunung Ledang... :( ...

Sharon said...

yes, i agree with joona. Puteri Gunung Ledang is spectacular. a must watch if u have a chance!!!

neways benji, the convention centre is a lousy place to watch a musical. we paid so expensive to watch 'Greece' n it was so dissapointing. that place is not built for musicals. IF there's a chance to watch something at istana budaya, go for it. it's worth it even if u sit at the very back of the hall. The sound is awesome!!