Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Selamat Hari Raya!...

I was contemplating to write this post in the malay language. But was reminded that several of my readers would understand nuts of what I write... :p... juz an excuse of my ever decreasing skill in WRITING in malay... I still can converse in malay well though... *I think*... my colleagues say I'm much more Malay than Chinese in terms of my food likings and also with my extremely embarassing grasp of the chinese language... Hei I really tried ok?... I even got an A- for basic mandarin language back in Uni... (yaya the teacher really tried hard to make me pass the test.. :P)

Anyway I was undecided whether should I head back to Melaka for the Raya holidays as my parents aren't around... they're still enjoying themselves back in Oz... but suddenly thought of lemang and rendang... and that decided for me... gonna head back and eat LEMANG! (it's sticky rice stuffed in bamboo and cooked bbq style)... and I was really glad i did... just for this one experience of buying the lemang...

Once I reach Alor Gajah I started hunting for lemang sellers by the side of the road. I stopped at several places but none of them was selling lemang with rendang. Until I came across this seller. So at first I ordered one and as they cut open the bamboo and sliced the rice... they realized it was a "special" lemang... called "lemang lemak" which they actually made for themselves to "buka puasa" (breaking fast)... at that time they haven't "buka puasa" yet... but they actually offered me to try... and it was superb! :P... I was really amazed at their generosity and their warmness... we then strike up simple conversation on how to make lemang, where we're from... etc... etc...

YUMMY LEMANG!

The next thing they did really caught me unaware... they actually offered me some apple juice that they made for them to 'buka puasa'... initially I politely declined as it was their personal and private meal... but they insisted on me having it and they went inside their shop to grab a plastic cup and poured out a cup for me to drink... I was really humbled by their kind gesture... sharing their food and drinks with a total stranger...

In recent times we've been bombarded by endless negative news... political personalities trying to gain advantage by driving a wedge between different races in Malaysia... both the majority and minority races harping on racial issues in the media and alternative media... to a point that it create an environment of suspicion and fear of each other.

Experiencing the warmth and hospitality of this Malay family brought a lot of my thoughts to reality... and it brings back memories of my time in Alor Gajah... playing together with Malay, Chinese and Indian neighbours... all MALAYSIANS.

Before I left I just took a picture... too bad that it was really dark and that the faces are unclear...
The "buka puasa" spread...

Malaysia is not perfect... but we do not need to conform to the perspectives of our political masters and form our thoughts according to the news played out in the media... we ourselves can make this place a better place to live in...

SELAMAT HARI RAYA MAAF ZAHIR BATIN...

2 comments:

joona said...

Actually, we can learn a lot from the Malays. In most cases, they are the most generous and helpful. We can learn from them about what it truly means to live in a community. =)

Joygerm said...

Yea... really enjoyed my childhood days in Alor Gajah... on the street we live in was 2 malay families, 2 chinese families and 1 indian family... muhibbah habis... :P